Baked Goods: a little playlist
I listen to a lot of music. I’m not going to say that music is my life or whatever, as I don’t play any instruments and I feel like unless I understand the inner workings of the art, I can’t really claim that I dedicate my life to it. With that said, I’ve been writing for Pigeons & Planes, a New York-based hip hop and indie site, for almost eight years. Before that, I would lurk blogs for new music, and before that, I’d sit on the bedroom floor of my childhood home for two days straight to listen to Z95.3FM’s summertime countdown while building elaborate 3D puzzles (lol I know). I think a more accurate way of describing my relationship with music is that it’s just an integral part of my life, and I am almost always listening to it.
Especially when baking, a good playlist is crucial. This isn’t the end-all, be-all of baking playlists, because it’s not. But for the first instalment of Baked Goods—a Spotify playlist that I’ll update monthly (this is a very big commitment for me)—there are some chill and fun songs that feel like those last few weeks of summer, when everything slows down a bit but it’s still hot and you want to spend as much time outside as possible. Oh, and a little tribute to Aretha, of course.
Without further ado, here’s Baked Goods: August 2018.
1. 88rising, Joji, BlocBoy JB - “Peach Jam”
2. Childish Gambino - “Summertime Magic”
3. Jungle - “Heavy, California”
4. Mitski - “Why Didn’t You Stop Me?”
5. Brockhampton - “1999 Wildfire”
6. Blood Orange - “Charcoal Baby”
7. The Internet - “Look What U Started”
8. Cuco & Clairo - “Drown”
9. Frank Ocean - “Self Control”
10. Kanye West ft. 070 Shake, Kid Cudi & PARTYNEXTDOOR - “Ghost Town”
11. Aretha Franklin - “Son of a Preacher Man”